- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Zaatar Manakish Recipe Video
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (About 110 To 115 F)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 379 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g3.9%
Saturated Fat 0.36 g1.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 252.4 mg10.5%
Total Carbohydrates 76 g25.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.1 g16.4%
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 13 g25.1%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 2.2% Iron 31.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Put yeast in 1/4 cup of the water, add sugar and let stand for 10 minutes until it starts to over flow. This means that the yeast is becoming active.
2. Put half of your flour and salt in a bowl or a pan with wide edge.
3. Form a well in the center and pour in yeast mixture and add the water little by little so you get a feel of the dough.
4. Begin to mix with hand, I never use a mixer or a machine, it is more fun to use your own hands to do it, relaxing too, beats any stress therapy!!
5. Add remaining flour as needed and knead for few minutes more until you feel that the consistency is what you are looking for in the dough. Even if the dough is sticky, it’s ok it will be great when it rises.
6. Oil a large bowl and place dough in bowl and turn to coat with oil.
7. Cover with a damp cloth and put in a warm place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
8. Dough should be doubled in bulk. But you can use it once it has risen to your liking.
9. Flatten the dough in an oiled pan. I usually use my hands in flattening the dough using a little bit of cooking oil to do so.
10. Mix the Za3tar (Thyme) and olive oil together, you might add some fresh diced tomatoes to it to give it a kick and spread on the dough evenly.
11. Make sure that your oven is preheated to around 450 degrees F.
12. Bake your Mana2eesh till they are golden brown on the edges.
13. Serve with a drink or as desired.