- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Yucatan Achiote Paste Recipe
|Annatto seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Found In Latin Markets)|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , coarsely chopped|
|Garlic||4 Clove (20 gm), minced|
|Serrano||2 , membranes removed, and finely minced|
|Orange juice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grapefruit juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pepper||1 Teaspoon, freshly cracked|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To Taste)|
|Lime||1 , juiced (To Taste)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 491 Calories from Fat 96
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.3%
Saturated Fat 1.5 g7.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4385.5 mg182.7%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28.1%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.8%
Sugars 23.1 g
Protein 11 g21%
Vitamin A 7.7% Vitamin C 192.3%
Calcium 9.8% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Take a saucepan and add the water to it.
2) Increase the flame and boil the water before adding the annatto seeds.
3) Turn off the heat and allow the seeds to soak for 15 minutes.
4) Drain off the water and keep the seeds aside.
5) Take the saucepan and add oil in it.
6) Heat the oil over medium heat and add the onions.
7) SautÃ© them for 4 minutes or until they turn golden.
8) Add the serranos and garlic to it and cook for 3 minutes more.
9) Add the fruit juices, pepper and annatto seeds to the pan.
10) Allow the mixture to boil after seasoning with salt.
11) Reduce the flame and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid quantity becomes 2 tablespoons approximately.
12) Remove the pan from the heat after adding the lime juice to it.
13) Take a blender and add the contents to it.
14) Puree it until it becomes smooth in consistency.
15) Use as required.