- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Yeolmu Kimchi Recipe Video
|Yeolmu||4 Pound (young summer radish)|
|Salt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Curing and salt is washed away)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Garlic cloves||4 , chopped finely|
|Ginger slices||1⁄2 Tablespoon, thinly sliced|
|Onion||1⁄2 , sliced|
|Green chili pepper||1 , sliced|
|Red chili pepper||1 , sliced|
|Pepper flakes||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 930 Calories from Fat 55
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.4%
Saturated Fat 0.69 g3.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 25761.9 mg1073.4%
Total Carbohydrates 175 g58.3%
Dietary Fiber 71.8 g287.2%
Sugars 84.1 g
Protein 76 g152.5%
Vitamin A 28.6% Vitamin C 116.7%
Calcium 10% Iron 12.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Using a knife, peel the radishes, remove the yellow leaves and cut the root and discard.
2. Cut yeolmu into about 5 cm long pieces and put them into a big bowl.
3. Pour in cold water, add ½ cup of salt and stir with hands.
4. Allow it sit in salted water for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes later, turn the yeolmu over to and allow it to sit another 30 minutes.
6. Wash the salted yeolmu 3 times and drain in a colander.
7. In a saucepan over medium heat, mix flour and water and stir until it thickens and bubbles.
8. Add in sugar if using, stir until the sugar melt.
9. Turn off the heat and add in the fish sauce, and stir to mix.
10. Allow the flour mixture to cool completely.
11. In a large bowl, combine together onion, ginger, garlic, chilies and chili flakes.
12. Pour in the cool flour mixture and mix it.
13. Add the yeolmu to the onion garlic mixture and stir to mix.
14. In a plastic container or glass jar, put the kimchi and pour in purified water to cover the kimchi.
15. Cover the container or jar and keep it in room temperature for a couple of days.
16. When the kimchi is fermented, keep it in the refrigerator.
17. When serving, ladle it in a bowl and add some ice cubes, serve with rice or barley rice if desired.