- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Yellow Rice Pilaf Recipe
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), pressed (Large One)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom seeds||6 (Whole Ones)|
|Ground allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground turmeric||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Long grain brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Boiling water||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Pistachio nuts/Roasted cashew nuts||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
Calories 430 Calories from Fat 151
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.8%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 262.1 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 65 g21.6%
Dietary Fiber 5.3 g21.1%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 7 g14.8%
Vitamin A 1.2% Vitamin C 10%
Calcium 6.5% Iron 11.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Attach a metal blade to the work bowl and then pulse onion on/off until chopped medium-fine, after cutting it into 1-inch pieces.
2) In a frying pan or dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid, over medium heat, heat oil and then sautÃ© onions in it for 3-5 minutes until transparent.
3) Mix in garlic, pepper, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice and turmeric and sautÃ© them for 1-2 minutes.
4) Stir in rice until coated with spices.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil after pouring in water.
6) Lower heat and then simmer the mixture, covered for 30 minutes.
7) Uncover and then add in salt, raisins, sugar and nuts.
8) Again cover and cook the mixture for 10-15 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
9) Discard whole spices and serve hot at once.