- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Yankee Pot Roast with Onions Recipe
|Bacon fat/Salad oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef rump/Round roast||5 1⁄2 Pound|
|Chopped onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped carrot||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Bay leaf||1⁄2 , crumbled|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Condensed beef broth||10 1⁄2 Ounce, undiluted (1 Can)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|White boiling onions||1 Pound, peeled (Small Variety)|
|All purpose flour||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5134 Calories from Fat 2550
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 283 g435.9%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 28.5 mg
Sodium 3697 mg154%
Total Carbohydrates 104 g34.6%
Dietary Fiber 15.4 g61.4%
Sugars 40.7 g
Protein 538 g1076.7%
Vitamin A 238.8% Vitamin C 124.6%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 26.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2. Take a 6 quart ovenproof Dutch oven, add bacon fat, heat well. Add meat and cook for 20 minutes, turning frequently using two wooden spoons, for the meat to turn evenly brown.
3. Keep roast onto one side of the pan. Sauté chopped onion, garlic, bay leaf and carrot for about 5 minutes. Make beef broth 1 ½ cups by adding water. Pour along with tomato sauce on the meat and season with pepper and salt.
4. Cover and bake for 90 minutes or till meat turns fork tender. Mix the boiling onions and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. Transfer the roast and onions to a warm serving platter.
5. Strain in the pan liquid, skimming off the fat and discarding particles. Take a small bowl and prepare a smooth mixture of flour with ½ cup water.
6. Place the strained liquid in Dutch oven and stir in the flour mixture. Allow the mixture to come to a boil, while stirring to thicken a little. Keep aside till used as sauce.
7. Serve hot while passing the sauce.