- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Yam Stuffed Apples Recipe
|Yam/Sweet potato||1⁄3 Pound, pared, diced|
|Golden delicious apples||3⁄4 Pound (Two 1/3 Pound Each Small Pieces)|
|Minced shallot||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon||1⁄3 Teaspoon, ground|
Calories 225 Calories from Fat 42
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.3%
Saturated Fat 1 g5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 11 mg0.5%
Total Carbohydrates 47 g15.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.8 g31.2%
Sugars 18.3 g
Protein 2 g3.8%
Vitamin A 9.4% Vitamin C 35.7%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Core the apples without cutting through the bottom.
2. Scoop out the pulp and leave 1/3 inch thick shell; save the pulp.
3. In a medium microwavable mixing bowl, place yam and add 2 cups of water; cook on High for 3 minutes.
4. Combine the apple pulp and shallot with the yam; cook on High for 3 minutes.
5. Strain the yam-apple mixture; reserve the mixture and discard the cooking liquid.
6. Add margarine and nutmeg to the reserved mixture and mash with a fork until the mixture is smooth.
7. Stuff the cored apples with equal quantity of yam-apple mixture.
8. In an 8 X 8 X 2-inch microwavable baking dish, arrange the stuffed apples; cover the dish and cook on High for 4 minutes, until thoroughly heated.
9. Garnish the apples with mint sprig.