- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Witch's Hat Recipe
|Margarine/Butter||6 Ounce, softened (plus 15 Milliliter or 1 tablespoon to grease tins and basin)|
|Castor sugar||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Self-raising flour/7 ounce self-raising flour, sifted, mixed with 1 ounce cocoa powder||8 Ounce, sifted|
|Butter||4 Ounce, softened (100 Gram)|
|Icing sugar||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Milk/Single cream||30 Milliliter (30 Milliliter)|
|Icing sugar||1 1⁄2 Pound (675 Gram)|
|Sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Liquid glucose||5 Tablespoon (75 Milliliter)|
|Egg whites||2 Small, beaten|
|Lemon juice||20 Milliliter, squeezed|
Calories 976 Calories from Fat 272
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.2%
Saturated Fat 11 g54.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 100.6 mg
Sodium 405.4 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 172 g57.5%
Dietary Fiber 0.78 g3.1%
Sugars 149.3 g
Protein 6 g11.9%
Vitamin A 24% Vitamin C 2%
Calcium 11.5% Iron 9.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350 Deg F (180 Deg C/Gas 4).
2) Grease and line two 6 inch round sandwich tins and also grease well a 575 ml (1 pt) ovenproof pudding basin.
3) Cream together the fat and sugar until fluffy; beat in the eggs, adding gradually, stir in 1 tbsp of the flour alongwith the 2nd and 3rd eggs, fold in the remaining flour and cocoa, blend well.
4) Spoon in the mixture into the tins and the basin, bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 min, basin mixture may bake earlier than the tin; cool on a wire rack.
5) For the butter icing; beat the butter until fluffy, beat in the icing sugar gradually, add the milk or cream to smoothen.
6) On a wide cake board, place a sandwich cake, spread a layer of butter icing over the cake, place the other sandwich cake on top, cover with the butter icing and place the cake from the basin upside-down on top.
7) Shape the cake into a cone, stick the cut pieces with the butter icing when required, layer the cone with the butter icing.
8) In a bowl, add the icing sugar
and all the other ingredients except the colouring, add glucose to make a paste, blend well , knead to smoothen; reserve a small quantity of the sugar paste to use later; blend the black food colour with paste, knead well.
9) On a lightly sugared board, roll out 3/4 of the black sugar paste, layer cone on the outer side, cut a brim out of the 1/4 and join the base of the cone.
10) Add some yellow food colour to the reserved sugar paste knead well, roll to cut out star and moon shape and press on the hat.; slice the cake lengthways into 6-8 pieces.
11) Serve on a nice dish.