- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wine-Tamarind Glazed Cornish Hens with Tropical Salad Recipe
|Sugar free tamarind flavored drink mix powder||7 3⁄4 Ounce (2 Packages Of 0.26 Ounce Each, Such As Tamarindo, Divided)|
|Brown sugar||7 Tablespoon, divided|
|Garlic powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cornish hens||40 Ounce, thawed, split in half lengthwise (2 Of 20 Ounce Each)|
|Sauvignon blanc||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Redwook Creek)|
|Soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Chili garlic paste||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon (Asian Type)|
|Grated ginger root||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (Divided)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fish sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (For Brushing)|
|Fresh baby spinach||1 Bunch (100 gm), washed, rinsed and trimmed|
|Shredded carrots||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Mango||1 Medium, peeled and cubed|
|Toasted pecans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 1040 Calories from Fat 544
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 61 g93.6%
Saturated Fat 14 g69.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 286.4 mg
Sodium 1144.4 mg47.7%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.8%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.5%
Sugars 45.4 g
Protein 52 g104%
Vitamin A 210.2% Vitamin C 53.5%
Calcium 8.9% Iron 23.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Prepare glaze: in a small saucepan, mix second package (0.26-ounce) tamarind-flavored drink mix powder with remaining 6 tablespoons brown sugar, wine, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon chili garlic paste and 1 teaspoon ginger root. Simmer slowly (uncovered) until mixture is very thick and has reduced to about 1/2 cup.
3. Prepare salad dressing: mix 1 1/2 teaspoons tamarind-flavored drink mix powder from third envelope, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon Asian chili garlic paste, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon ginger root, water, fish sauce, sugar and 1 tablespoon oil in a jar and chill.
4. Prepare salad: place spinach, carrots, mango and pecans on a serving platter and set aside.
5. Liberally apply oil to barbecue rack and turn on until hot. Drain Cornish hens and place skin side down on hot grill. Turn heat down and grill Cornish hens until nice grill marks appear on one side, then flip. Grill for a total of 30-40 minutes on both sides or until meat thermometer registers at 160° F. Bring tamarind glaze to a simmer and brush hens on all sides with it. Turn off fire. Let hens rest.
6. To assemble: drizzle salad with dressing on serving platter. Place hens on top and drizzle with any remaining wine glaze. Serve warm.
Redwood Creek wines embody the adventurous spirit of the great outdoors. Redwood Creek Winemakers Cal Dennison and Sean Hails crafted a portfolio of eight, food-friendly wines that consistently deliver outstanding quality at an attractive price. Redwood Creek wines are available at retailers nationwide at a suggested retail price ranging from $6.99 to $12.99.