- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wilted Salad With Chicken Livers Apples And Mustard Seed Recipe
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Red leaf lettuce head||1|
|Romaine lettuce head||1 Small|
|Yellow mustard||2 Teaspoon|
|Sherry vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken livers||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
Calories 376 Calories from Fat 275
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.8%
Saturated Fat 4.9 g24.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 260.8 mg
Sodium 129 mg5.4%
Total Carbohydrates 9 g3.2%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.7%
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 16 g31.3%
Vitamin A 445.5% Vitamin C 122.1%
Calcium 10.4% Iron 49.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In a small bowl, stir together the mustard seed and sherry vinegar and let stand for 1 hour.
3. Sort and trim the livers, discarding any that are not whole and firm. Separate the livers into lobes and thoroughly pat dry. Peel and core the apple and cut it into 1/2-inch chunks.
4. In a large skillet, warm 3 tablespoons of the oil over high heat until very hot. Add the apple and cook, tossing and stirring once or twice, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the apple chunks to a bowl.
5. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet and set over moderate heat. Add the chicken livers and cook until stiffened and lightly browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn carefully and cook until browned on the other side but still pink and juicy inside, 2 to 3 minutes longer. With a slotted spoon, transfer the livers to the bowl with the apples and cover with foil to keep warm.
6. Put the greens in a large bowl. To the skillet, add the vinegar and mustard seed and the remaining 1/2 cup oil; bring just to the boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Pour the hot dressing over the greens and toss well.
7. Divide the salad among 6 plates. Spoon the apple chunks and livers over the greens. Pour any dressing remaining in the bowl over the salads and serve at once.