- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wild Rice Soup Recipe
|Wild rice||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs), washed|
|Salted water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Leeks||2 Large, chopped (Including Green Tops)|
|Mushrooms||8 Large, sliced|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Hot chicken broth||8 Cup (128 tbs)|
|Half-and-half||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12%
Saturated Fat 4.7 g23.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 20.7 mg
Sodium 357.8 mg14.9%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.8%
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g7.3%
Sugars 2.9 g
Protein 5 g9.6%
Vitamin A 16.3% Vitamin C 7.6%
Calcium 4.4% Iron 8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a heavy saucepan, place the rice with salted water.
2) Heat the saucepan and bring to boil.
3) Put the lid on and simmer for 45 minutes until tender, but not mushy.
4) Take the lid off and using fork fluff the rice.
5) Simmer the rice mixture for 5 minutes.
6) Pour off the excess liquid.
7) In a non-stick pan, heat butter and sauté leeks and mushrooms for 3 minutes until softened.
8) Dredge in the flour, stirring and cooking until flour is cooked but not browned.
9) Stir in chicken broth slowly, stirring until flour mixture is well blended.
10) Mix in the rice, seasoning, and heat thoroughly.
11) Lightly stir in half-and-half and heat gently. Do not boil.
12) Serve the Wild Rice Soup in a soup bowl and garnish with chopped parsley if desired.