- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wild Duck And Quail Pate Recipe
|Mallards/Canvasbacks / other wild ducks, cleaned||2|
|Quail||6 , cleaned|
|Bacon||1 Pound, sliced|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Dried thyme||2 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg||1 Tablespoon, freshly grated|
|Sea salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 9360 Calories from Fat 5766
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 643 g988.5%
Saturated Fat 208.2 g1041.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 3611.3 mg
Sodium 7733.9 mg322.2%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.8%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.1%
Sugars 10.7 g
Protein 815 g1630.7%
Vitamin A 129.6% Vitamin C 403.6%
Calcium 64.8% Iron 1020%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Pull out the skin and de-bone the duck breasts and keep aside the breasts.
3. Discard rest of the meat from the carcasses, remove the skin and add meat to a food processor with steel blade.
3. Pull out the skin and de-bone quail and chicken breast. Chop the meats along with bacon slices.
4. Add to processor along with egg, onion, nutmeg grating, thyme, white pepper and sea salt. Process to a finely ground, well-blend mixture.
5. Use bacon slices to enwrap the reserved duck breast halves. Enwrap individually.
6. Take a loaf pan or covered ceramic pate dish and line with rest of the bacon slices in such a way that the slices hung down from the dish.
7. Place 1/3rd of the ground meat mixture as a single layer in the lined dish. Arrange the wrapped breast halves, two of them, on the top of the meat layer, end to end. Pat them down firmly to remain embedded in the meat layer. Pour rest of the ground meat above the breasts and smooth out to cover them completely.
8. Tap the dish strongly on the countertop to remove air pockets and to allow the pate to settle. Cover the pate top with overhanging bacon slices. Arrange bay leaves as a line on the top.
9. Use a lid to cover the dish or use an aluminum foil to cover loaf pan. Arrange in the roasting pan, keep in the oven middle rack. Add boiling water to the roasting pan in such a way that it is up till half the sides of pate dish.
10. Bake for 1.5 hours, take out from oven and allow to cool completely.
11. Put weight like foil-wrapped brick works above the pate and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
12. Take out and unmold. Carefully slice the pate so that the mosaic pattern is clearly visible.
13. Serve the slices.