- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Whole Wheat Herb Bread Recipe
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Skim milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||2 Tablespoon|
|Egg whites||3 , beaten|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil leaves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||4 1⁄2 Cup (72 tbs)|
Calories 680 Calories from Fat 128
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g22.5%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g11%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 2.3 mg
Sodium 592.4 mg24.7%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.3%
Dietary Fiber 19.7 g78.7%
Sugars 9.2 g
Protein 29 g58.6%
Vitamin A 1.6% Vitamin C 2.6%
Calcium 21.2% Iron 40.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a saucepan, heat water to boiling point.
2. Take off heat and stir in sugar and milk.
3. When cooled to luke warm, dissolve yeast and let stand 10 minutes
4. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray
5. Preheat the oven to 400°F before baking
6. In a large mixing bowl, blend egg whites, oil, salt, basil and oregano.
7. Stir in yeast mixture.
8. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until dough leaves sides of the bowl.
9. Turn dough out onto flour dusted surface and knead 5 minutes until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary.
10. Shape it to a tight ball and return to lightly greased bowl
11. Turn dough so all sides are coated.
12. Cover bowl and set it in a warm area for 1 hour until dough ferments and doubles in size.
13. Turn fermented dough onto floured surface punch with fist to knock out air.
14. Divide into 4 equal portions.
15. Roll each into a tight ball and place on greased baking sheet
16. Spray tops of dough circles with cooking spray
17. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
18. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire wrack.
19. Pile in a bread basket and serve warm.