- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Whole Wheat Bagels Recipe
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lukewarm milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
Calories 384 Calories from Fat 62
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.9%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.3 mg
Sodium 335.8 mg14%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.6%
Dietary Fiber 10.9 g43.5%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 13 g25.2%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 4.6% Iron 19.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a small saucepan, heat the milk on a low flame till it is luke warm
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the yeast, warm milk and honey. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
3. Then stir in the oil and salt. Keep aside for 5 more minutes.
4. Grease a baking pan with oil.
5. Preheat the oven to 375°F 20 minutes before baking time.
6. Into the yeast starter in the mixing bowl, sift in the flour.
7. Using a wooden spoon or a spatula, stir vigorously to form a stiff dough.
8. Turn the dough out onto a flour dusted work surface and knead with the back of your palm into an elastic and heavy dough.
9. Oil the bowl and return the dough to it, cover with plastic or a kitchen towel and rest in a warm place for 1 ½ to 2 hours, to ferment the dough until it is doubled in size.
10. In a large saucepan, combine the honey and water and bring to a boil.
11. When the dough has fermented, with your fist, knock out the air and divide into 16 to 18 equal portions.
12. Knead each piece of dough and shape into a smooth round ball, flatten it a little and stick your finger through the center, forming a hole.
13. Drop the bagels 4 to 5 at a time, into the boiling water and wait for them to puff up and rise to the surface.
14. Allow them to boil on one side for 3 minutes, then turn over and boil for another 3 minutes.
15. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bagels on the greased cookie sheet.
16. Sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds on the bagels.
17. Place the baking tray on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake the bagels for 30 to 35 minutes or until risen and golden brown
18. Remove the tray from the oven and transfer onto a wire rack. Allow the bagels to cool sufficiently.
19. Slice and serve the bagels plain or toasted with butter, cream cheese or any spread of your choice.