- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Whole Grain and Seed Bread Recipe
|Water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Bulgur||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole-wheat flour||3 1⁄2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Oat bran||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sunflower seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 816 Calories from Fat 214
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 25 g38.2%
Saturated Fat 3.6 g18%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 14.8 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 148 g49.2%
Dietary Fiber 26.6 g106.5%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 30 g59.1%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 0.25%
Calcium 15.5% Iron 52.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Boil 1 cup of the water in a saucepan.
3. Add the bulgur; cover and set aside for 15 minutes.
4. Heat the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water to lukewarm to about 110°F and transfer to a large bowl.
5. Stir in the yeast, honey, and oil and mix well for the yeast to dissolve.
6. Set aside for about 5 minutes to make the yeast become foamy.
7. Mix in the flour, bran, oat bran, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, and bulgur to make a ball shaped dough.
8. Lightly coat the dough with oil on all sides by placing in a bowl.
9. Cover and set in a warm, draft-free place for about an hour or until doubled in volume.
10. On a lightly floured surface, punch the dough and knead on a for a few minutes.
11. Divide in half and shape each pieces into a loaf.
12. Coat two 9 X 5-inch loaf pans with nonstick spray.
13. Place the dough in the pans and allow it to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in volume
14. Bake at 350°F for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
15. Cool before slicing.
16. Serve as an excellent side dish.