- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Leavened White Bread Recipe
|Oil||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon To Grease Tins)|
|Fresh yeast||3⁄4 Ounce (20 Gram)|
|Caster sugar||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Warm water||1 1⁄4 Pint (700 Milliliter, Plus 15-30 Milliliter Or 1-2 Tablespoon Extra, If Necessary)|
|Strong plain flour||2 Pound, sifted (900 Gram, Plus 50-75 Gram Or 2-3 Ounce, To Flour Board)|
|Salt||10 Milliliter (2 Teaspoon)|
Calories 574 Calories from Fat 33
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g6%
Saturated Fat 0.81 g4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 652 mg27.2%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g15.7%
Sugars 0.8 g
Protein 9 g18.6%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 1.9% Iron 3.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Coat 2 x 900 g (2 lb) loaf tins with oil and leave in a warm place until needed.
2. Cream the yeast and the sugar together well.
3. On to the yeast mixture pour the warm water and blend thoroughly.
4. Into a bowl sift the flour and salt and make a well in the middle of the flour.
5. Pour in the yeast liquid sprinkling a little flour over the top of the liquid.
6. Do not mix.
7. Let it stand in a warm place for about 20 minutes.
8. After standing, mix with a fork to form an elastic dough, adding a little more warm water if necessary.
9. Knead well until the dough comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.
10. In a warm place, place the dough, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise for about 1 1/2—2 hours, until doubled in size.
11. On to a floured board flip and knead lightly again until there are only small holes in the dough.
12. Split the dough into 2 equal portions shaping to fit the warmed tins.
13. Place the loaves in the tins, cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for another 30—40 minutes, until the dough has almost doubled in size and risen to the tops of the tins.
14. Let the oven heat to 425°F (220°C/Gas 7).
15. Let the loaves bake for 1 hour.
16. Take out of the oven and tip the loaves out.
17. To check the loaves tap the bottoms gently with your knuckles.
18. If they sound hollow, they are cooked.
19. Or else, replace the loaves upside-down in the tins letting them bake for a further 5 minutes.
20. Take out of the oven and leave to cool in the tins for 2-3 minutes before turning out the loaves on to a wire rack to cool completely cleanly away from the sides of the bowl.