- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
White Bean Stuffed Peppers With Swiss Cheese Recipe
|Dried white beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Olive oil/Canola oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced|
|Red onions||2 , sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Celery stalks||2 , sliced|
|Vegetable stock/Chicken stock||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Sweet peppers||4 Large, halved lengthwise (Red Or Green)|
|Shredded reduced fat monterey jack cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 68
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g11.8%
Saturated Fat 2.2 g10.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.1 mg
Sodium 271.9 mg11.3%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.7%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.3%
Sugars 7.2 g
Protein 13 g25.8%
Vitamin A 19.5% Vitamin C 178.3%
Calcium 18.6% Iron 24.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 375°F before baking.
2) In a large bowl, soak white beans in cold water and let stand for at least 8 hours or a whole night after covering the bowl with a plate. Else follow the quick-soak method.
3) On the following day, drain the excess water from beans and keep aside.
4) In a large nonstick skillet, over moderate heat, heat half the oil and stir-fry mushrooms, onions, garlic, and celery in it for about 7 minutes until slightly tender.
5) To a plate, transfer the vegetables with a slotted spoon when done.
6) In the same skillet, allow a mixture of stock and cold water to come to a boil.
7) Stir in beans and boil for 10 minutes.
8) Take a casserole and place the beans and sautéed vegetables in it and then mix in parsley.
9) Bake in the preheated oven, covering the casserole, for about 1 hour until the beans are fork-tender and have absorbed most of the liquid, stirring only when needed.
10) Remove the cover and bake again for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, if the casserole still has much liquid.
11) Add seasonings after taking off the casserole from oven.
12) In a large roasting pan, put the sweet peppers, cut side up and apply the remaining oil.
13) Stuff each pepper with the cooked white bean mixture and cover with grated cheese on top.
14) Place back in oven and bake again for 35 to 45 minutes until the peppers become soft and the cheese melts.
15) Serve hot.