- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
White Bean and Tuna Salad Recipe
|Red wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salad oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Dried great northern beans||1 Pound|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Carrots||1 , pared|
|Dried thyme leaves||1 Teaspoon|
|Green onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Celery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced on the diagonal|
|Parsley||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Romaine head||1⁄2 , washed and crisped|
|Tuna||2 Can (20 oz), drained and chilled|
|Cucumber||1 Medium, thinly sliced, chilled (Unpeeled)|
|Tomatoes||3 Medium, sliced into 6 pieces, chilled|
|Pitted black olives||12 , chilled|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4177 Calories from Fat 1863
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 212 g325.9%
Saturated Fat 17 g85%
Trans Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 215.5 mg71.8%
Sodium 8739.9 mg364.2%
Total Carbohydrates 336 g112%
Dietary Fiber 110.7 g442.7%
Sugars 32.8 g
Protein 244 g487.3%
Vitamin A 991.3% Vitamin C 226%
Calcium 125.5% Iron 234.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a jar with a tight lid, add in oil, vinegar, mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, pepper and garlic. Shake the jar well to combine all the ingredients.
2) Rinse the beans and drain. Add into a kettle and cover with enough cold water. Let rest for 4 to 5 hours.
3) Add in 1 quart water to cover the beans. Cook on medium flame on simmer. Add in the carrot, bay leaf, thyme and salt. Cook covered for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or till the vegetables become tender.
4) Drain the vegetables. Slice the carrots into 1/4-inch pieces and keep them aside.
5) In a large shallow dish, add warm beans, vinegar dressing, green onion, celery, parsley and carrot. Toss lightly to combine all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate the dish for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
6) To assemble the salad, line a large serving platter with romaine leaves. Place a mound of the marinated beans in the centre of the plate.
7) Arrange the chilled tuna, cucumber and tomato in small mounds on the edge of the plate.
8) Garnish the salad with pitted black olives.