- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wheat Naan (Indian Bread) - Baked on Stove - No Oven. Recipe Video
|Wheat flour/Whole wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Yogurt||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Extra virgin olive oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For dusting)|
|For the yeast mixture|
|Warm milk/Warm water||3 Tablespoon (or milk and water combined)|
|Butter||1 Tablespoon (or more as needed)|
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 144
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.1%
Saturated Fat 2.5 g12.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.6 mg
Sodium 396.6 mg16.5%
Total Carbohydrates 43 g14.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.7 g18.9%
Sugars 3.3 g
Protein 7 g14.4%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 0.04%
Calcium 9% Iron 13.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Cooking spray - for greasing the insides of the bowl (where the dough rests for fermentation)
2. Roller pin & board
1. Take a small bowl, dissolve a tablespoon of yeast in water or milk. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Let it stand for about 10 minutes till the yeast rises.
2. In a large mixing bowl take the wheat flour and the all purpose flour. Mix it and add baking powder. Mix again to combine the baking powder well into the flour.
3. Add the yogurt and olive oil and combine well using your hands. Add the yeast mixture, small portions at a time and knead the dough.
4. Once the dough is kneaded, transfer it to a bigger bowl/pot, sprayed with some cooking oil on the inside surface. Sprinkle some of the left over yeast mix on top of the dough resting in the bowl.
5. Cover the bowl/pot and let it sit for 90 to 120 minutes.
6. After the naan dough has doubled itself, take medium size portions of it in the shape of a ball and roll it using a roller pin. Dust the dough frequently while rolling.
7. Take a pan and heat it on medium and put a rolled dough on it and bake, flipping sides till cooked. Finally move the naan on to a rack directly above a high heated stove and toast it flipping sides for a couple of minutes.
8. Once done, spread a little butter on the surface of the naan immediately while hot.
9. Serve immediately with any Indian main dish of your choice.
When using the flour, a combination of whole wheat flour, wheat flour(chapati flour) and all purpose flour may be used.
An alternative option to making the naan is by baking it in the oven at high temperature.