- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Wheat Berry Bread Recipe
|Wheat berries||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄4 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Warm water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Honey||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Flax seeds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sunflower seeds||2 Tablespoon|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1460 Calories from Fat 559
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 65 g100.1%
Saturated Fat 7 g35%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 5872.7 mg244.7%
Total Carbohydrates 204 g68.2%
Dietary Fiber 26.9 g107.7%
Sugars 88.2 g
Protein 32 g63.5%
Vitamin A 0.4% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 26.3% Iron 60.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) Rinse the wheat berries in a strainer under running water and drain. 3) In a small saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups tap water to a boil and add the berries. Cover the pan and simmer on a low heat for about 1 hour, until the berries are soft and the water is absorbed.
4) In a large bowl, stir the yeast, 1/2 cup warm water and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour together and allow to rise for about 40 minutes.
5) Stir 1 cup warm water, oil, molasses, honey, salt, and whole-wheat flour into the yeast mixture. Then add the flax seeds, sun-flower seeds, and 1 cup all-purpose flour.
6) When the mixture becomes stiff, turn it out on a floured work surface and knead. Flatten the dough and press in the cooked wheat berries.
7) Knead in the 1/3 cup all-purpose flour for about 6 minutes, until the dough is elastic.
8) Shape the dough into a ball, place in an oiled bowl and turn the dough in the bowl to coat it well with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for about 2 hours.
9) Turn the dough out on a lightly floured work surface, press it flat, fold both the sides in and roll the dough into a log and set it into an oiled 10 x 4 x 3-inch loaf pan. Push the dough down flat, place the pan in a plastic bag, close and allow to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.
10) Remove the pan from the plastic bag, place the bread in the oven, spritz the inside of the oven a few times with water, quickly close the door and bake for 15 minutes.
11) Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake for another 15 minutes, until sounds hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack.
12) Slice the bread and serve on a serving plate.