- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Welsh Rabbit Recipe
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|American cheese||2 Pound|
|Sweet milk||1 Cup (16 tbs), warmed|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
Calories 1184 Calories from Fat 746
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 83 g127.8%
Saturated Fat 51.5 g257.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 353 mg
Sodium 427.7 mg17.8%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g16.9%
Dietary Fiber 0.32 g1.3%
Sugars 43.3 g
Protein 60 g120.5%
Vitamin A 57.2% Vitamin C 4.9%
Calcium 163.4% Iron 11.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large heavy bottomed frying pan or in a basin over a double boiler add the butter and allow it to melt over a low flame.
2. Stir in the flour and seasonings and blend well with the butter.
3. When the mixture forms a paste like consistency, gradually add the milk, whisking vigorously with a wire whisk, to get a smooth sauce like consistency.
4. Continue to cook the sauce until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.
5. Cut cheese into tiny pieces and drop into the sauce.
6. Whisk until the cheese has melted completely.
7. Beat the eggs with the Worcestershire sauce.
8. Taking the pan off the heat, gradually add the eggs to the sauce, whisking to prevent them from coagulating.
9. Returning pan to the heat, cook for a few minutes, stirring all the while.
10. Serve the sauce over thin toast points, English muffins or over crackers if you like.
11. Provide a salt and pepper cruet set to adjust the seasoning according to taste.