- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Welsh Fruit Bread Recipe
|Warm water||1⁄2 Pint (285 Milliliter)|
|Dried yeast||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sugar in the raw||1 Teaspoon|
|Wholemeal flour||3⁄4 Pound|
|Polyunsaturated margarine||3 Ounce|
|Demerara sugar||3 Ounce (85 Gram)|
|Sea salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Mixed spice||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Mixed dried fruit||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6526 Calories from Fat 3374
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 370 g569.5%
Saturated Fat 61 g304.8%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 211.5 mg
Sodium 3946.9 mg164.5%
Total Carbohydrates 611 g203.6%
Dietary Fiber 142.4 g569.4%
Sugars 152.3 g
Protein 261 g521.2%
Vitamin A 53.5% Vitamin C 0.46%
Calcium 17.6% Iron 248.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Warm a bread bowl in water for some time.
2) Preheat oven to temperature of 350 degrees.
3) In the bread bowl, add the warm water. Beat it into the sugar and yeast.
4) Beat the mixture once again after adding the 81% flour till a creamy concoction is formed.
5) Put the mixture aside for about 20 minutes in a warm place till the yeast starts to froth.
6) In a bowl, put the remaining flour and run in the margarine. Mix in the salt, spice, sugar and fruit.
7) Add the yeast mix and the beaten egg to the concoction and with a spoon, mix all the ingredients together.
8) Onto a floured table, turn the mixture. Knead the dough properly for some minutes.
9) Put the dough in a covered bowl. Place in a warm place and allow to rise till the dough has doubled in size.
10) With the fist, smoothen any large bubbles and then knead once again. Divide the dough into two parts and place them in 1lb bread tins which have been greased properly.
11) Once again, leave the loaves in a warm place till the dough rises above the tins’ rims.
12) Bake in preheated oven for about 50 to 60 minutes. Glaze with honey and allow to cool on a wire rack.
13) Serve and use as required.