- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Welsh Cakes Recipe
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs) (Not Sifted)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|White sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground mace||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Shortening/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Currants||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Mixed peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely chopped|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
Calories 1061 Calories from Fat 495
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 56 g86.1%
Saturated Fat 14.5 g72.5%
Trans Fat 6.7 g
Cholesterol 108 mg
Sodium 852.4 mg35.5%
Total Carbohydrates 128 g42.7%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.7%
Sugars 53.8 g
Protein 14 g28.1%
Vitamin A 3.2% Vitamin C 28.1%
Calcium 21.1% Iron 30.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to about 325°F.
2) Combine together the dry ingredients into bowl and cut in the shortening.
3) Add fruit and eggs mixed with milk to a smooth mixture.
4) Make the dough stiff.
5) Roll dough on floured board to 1/4 inch thickness; half dough at a time.
6) Cut into rounds â€“ with a 2-inch cookie cutter.
7) Bake on heated griddle pan (coated with Pam) at about 325°F.
8) Turn to bake and brown both sides.
9) Serve hot or cold as an excellent dessert.