- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Welsh Cakes Recipe
|Plain flour||8 Ounce, sifted (225 Gram)|
|Plain flour||60 Milliliter (4 Tablespoon To Flour Board)|
|Caster sugar||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Ground nutmeg||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Margarine/Butter||5 Ounce, softened (120 Gram, plus 1 Ounce / 25 Gram To Grease Griddle)|
|Currants||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Egg||1 Medium, beaten|
|Warm milk||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2555 Calories from Fat 1106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 125 g191.7%
Saturated Fat 24.2 g120.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 189.1 mg
Sodium 370.5 mg15.4%
Total Carbohydrates 331 g110.5%
Dietary Fiber 11.3 g45.3%
Sugars 94.6 g
Protein 25 g50.6%
Vitamin A 107.1% Vitamin C 58.5%
Calcium 12.5% Iron 15.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a bowl combine together the flour, sugar, salt and nutmeg.
2. Rub or cut in the fat until the mixture begins to stick together.
3. Put in the currants and egg and mix with a fork to form a stiff dough.
4. If the dough is too dry, add a very little milk Roll the dough out on a floured board to a thickness of 2 cm (3/4 in).
5. Cut into circles with a 7.5 cm (3 in) cutter dipped in flour.
6. Warm the griddle to a moderate heat and grease well.
7. Let it remain for a few minutes to reach an even, all-over temperature, but do not let it get too hot or the cakes will burn before their insides are cooked.
8. Place 4-5 cakes gently on the griddle and leave to cook slowly (8-10 minutes for each side).
9. When the undersides are browned, carefully turn over with a metal spatula and leave to brown on the other side.
10. Repeat until all the cakes are cooked.
11. Remove the cakes carefully on to a wire rack as they are cooked and wrap in a linen cloth until all the cakes are ready to serve.