- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Watercress And Apple Soup Recipe
|Onion||1 Large, coarsely chopped|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
|Chicken stock||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Curry powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use Hot)|
|Apples||2 , peeled, cored, diced and tossed in lemon juice to prevent discoloration|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (Use To Toss Apples)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , freshly juiced|
|Freshly squeezed lemon juice||1⁄2|
|Watercress leaves||3 Tablespoon (Use Few Leaves, For Garnish)|
Calories 339 Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 154.3 mg
Sodium 348.7 mg14.5%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.5%
Dietary Fiber 5 g20.1%
Sugars 13.8 g
Protein 8 g16.3%
Vitamin A 39.7% Vitamin C 56%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 11.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large heavy saucepan, melt the butter over a medium flame.
2. When hot, add onion to it and sauté until limp and transparent.
3. Add watercress, chicken stock and curry powder and stir well, allowing flavors to blend.
4. Stir cornstarch in a little water to make a paste then add it to the simmering broth.
5. Allow the liquid to come to a boil, stirring constantly until lightly thickened.
6. Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. In the meantime, blend egg yolks into hot cream.
8. Add this to the simmering soup, pour it in a slow and stead stream and stirring constantly with the other hand.
9. Take pan off heat and pour the contents into a liquidizer or food processor jar.
10. Add half the chopped apple to the jar along with soup.
11. Blend into a smooth puree.
12. Taste and adjust seasoning.
13. Pour into a tureen or serving bowl and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
14. Stir in remaining diced apple into the chilled soup.
15. Ladle into individual soup cups or cold bowls
16. Garnish with watercress leaves.