- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Walnut Tuna Stuffed Tomato Recipe
|Plum tomatoes||4 Large (Red Variety)|
|Canned tuna||7 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Hard-cooked eggs||2 , chopped|
|Green onions||2 , thinly sliced|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Pickles||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Pimento/Green pepper||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Chives blade||4 , cut into 1 inch pieces|
|Fresh parsley leaves||2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
|Prepared mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Mayonnaise/Cream cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnuts||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), chopped|
Calories 401 Calories from Fat 269
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 31 g47.2%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 139.6 mg
Sodium 449.7 mg18.7%
Total Carbohydrates 11 g3.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.7 g14.9%
Sugars 1.8 g
Protein 23 g45.3%
Vitamin A 43% Vitamin C 51%
Calcium 8.1% Iron 16.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Use a sharp paring knife to peel the tomatoes.
2. Season them with salt and pepper.
3. Place on a plate, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
4. To make the filling, in a large bowl, flake the tuna and add eggs, onions, celery, pickles, pimiento, capers, herbs and lemon juice.
5. Toss well to mix thoroughly.
6. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
7. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and mustard. Whisk with a fork until well blended.
8. Just before serving, cut each tomato, stem-end down, into 4 wedges but not all the way through (to within 1/4 inch of bottom), to get a flower.
9. Arrange each on a salad plate.
10. Into the tuna mixture, fold in the mayonnaise and walnuts. Mix well.
11. Spoon the mixture into the tomato flower cups and serve immediately.