- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Walnut Stickies Recipe
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2 Tablespoon|
|Active dry yeast||1 Tablespoon (1 Envelope)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|All purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon, melted (1/2 Stick)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Calories 252 Calories from Fat 93
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.2%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g15.8%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 22.7 mg
Sodium 117.6 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.7 g6.6%
Sugars 19.6 g
Protein 4 g9%
Vitamin A 2.5% Vitamin C 0.73%
Calcium 3.1% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. To make the dough, take a small saucepan and scald milk with sugar, salt and shortenings over a moderate heat. Cool till lukewarm
2. In a large bowl, with moderately hot water sprinkle yeast and blend properly till dissolved. Add the milk mixture.
3. To make the topping for the dish, in a medium size saucepan combine sugar,water, cinnamon, orange rind and turn on moderate heat. Constantly stir the ingredients till it reaches a thick and syrup-like consistency.
4. Grease a baking pan (8x8x2) and pour half the syrup into it and sprinkle evenly with walnuts. Keep the remaining aside to glaze.
5. To the yeast mixture add the eggs and beat.
6. Slowly add in 1 ½ cups of flour and beat vigorously. Then slowly add the remaining 1 cup flour and stir till it forms a stiff dough.
7. On a floured pastry board or cloth, knead the dough continuously for 5 to 10 minutes till it becomes smooth and elastic. Constantly sprinkle flour on the base of the pastry board so that the dough does not stick
8. Place the dough in a large bowl. Cover with a clean towel and store in a warm place till dough rises to double it’s bulk. This will take 1 hour.
9. To shape and fill rolls, punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured pastry cloth or board.
10. Roll out to a rectangle, 16x12. Spread generously with melted butter or margarine, then sprinkle with mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
11. Starting at long side of rectangle, roll up, jelly-roll style; cut crosswise into 16 slices. Place rolls, cut sides up, on nut-syrup mixture in pan.
12. Using a clean towel, cover the rolls and set aside in a warm place. Allow to rise for 1 hour or till rolls double in bulk.
13. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 25 minutes. Remove from oven; spoon saved syrup over rolls. Bake 15 minutes longer, or until glazed and brown.
14. Allow the rolls to cool on a rack or kitchen stand for 5 minutes.
15. Serve warm with hot tea or coffee.