- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Walnut Bread Recipe
|Wholemeal flour||15 Ounce (425 g /3 1/4 cups)|
|Strong white flour||5 Ounce (150 g /1 1/4 cups)|
|Salt||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon (12.5 ml)|
|Lukewarm water||18 Fluid Ounce (525 ml /2 1/4 cups)|
|Clear honey||15 Milliliter (1 tbsp)|
|Easy blend dried yeast||15 Milliliter (1 tbsp)|
|Walnut pieces||5 Ounce (150 g /1 1/4 cups, plus more for decorating)|
|Egg||1 , beaten (for glazing)|
Calories 1559 Calories from Fat 489
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 55 g84.6%
Saturated Fat 5.4 g26.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 105.7 mg
Sodium 2484.1 mg103.5%
Total Carbohydrates 225 g75%
Dietary Fiber 36.9 g147.8%
Sugars 7.4 g
Protein 55 g110%
Vitamin A 2.8% Vitamin C 0.1%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 87.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Set aside until the yeast dissolves and the mixture is frothy.
3. Add the remaining water. With a wooden spoon, stir from the centre, incorporating flour with each turn, to obtain a smooth dough. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky and use your hands if the dough becomes too stiff to stir.
4. Transfer to a floured board and knead, adding flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and roll the dough around in the bowl to coat thoroughly all over.
5. Cover with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours.
6. Punch down the dough very firmly and knead in the walnuts until they are evenly distributed.
7. Grease a baking sheet. Shape the dough into a round loaf and place on the baking sheet. Press in the walnut pieces to decorate the top. Cover the dough loosely with a damp dish towel and leave in a warm place for about 25-30 minutes until doubled in size.
8. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/ Gas 7. With a sharp knife, score the top of the loaf and brush with the egg glaze. Bake for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5 and bake until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, about 40 minutes. Leave to cool.