- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Walnut Beet Grapefruit and Endive Salad Recipe
|Corn oil||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Garlic||24 Clove (120 gm), peeled|
|Grapefruit||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Lemon||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Orange||1 , freshly squeezed|
|Grapefruit zest||1 Tablespoon, finely grated|
|Apple cider vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sherry vinegar||1 Tablespoon|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Belgian endive head||8 Ounce (2 nos.)|
|Watercress||21 Ounce (3 bunches)|
|Beets||1 1⁄2 Pound, cooked, peeled and cut into thin wedges|
|Ruby grapefruit||3 , cut into sections|
|Walnut halves||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs), lightly toasted|
|Walnut oil||2 Tablespoon|
Calories 1828 Calories from Fat 1535
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 174 g268.1%
Saturated Fat 16.7 g83.3%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 312.8 mg13%
Total Carbohydrates 69 g23.1%
Dietary Fiber 19.6 g78.2%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 13 g27%
Vitamin A 126.4% Vitamin C 240.6%
Calcium 34.8% Iron 20%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Garlic Oil : In a medium saucepan, heat the corn oil and garlic cloves over a medium heat for about 30 minutes.
2) Allow the oil to cool to room temperature, then strain both oil and garlic; keep aside.
3) Grapefruit & Sherry Vinaigrette : In a small pan, stir the citrus juices and sugar together over a medium-high heat.
4) Bring to a boil, then simmer until the liquid has reduced to 2 tablespoons; allow to cool.
5) Stir in the grapefruit zest and both the vinegars.
6) Whisk in the olive oil and 1/4 cup of the reserved garlic oil; blend thoroughly.
7) Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
8) Salad : Arrange endive leaves on a plate in a square like Lincoln logs.
9) Place the watercress loosely in the center of the endives.
10) Top the watercress with beets and grapefruit sections and drizzle with 3/4 cup of the vinaigrette.
11) Sprinkle the toasted walnut halves all over the salad.
12) Drizzle the Walnut Beet Grapefruit and Endive Salad with walnut oil and serve immediately.