- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vol Au Vents Shells Recipe
|Puff pastry||8 Ounce (225 Grams)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
Calories 223 Calories from Fat 138
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.7%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 35.2 mg
Sodium 107.3 mg4.5%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 0.57 g2.3%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 4 g7.7%
Vitamin A 0.8% Vitamin C
Calcium 0.8% Iron 6.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Line a baking sheet with non grease paper.
2. Preheat the oven to 425°F/220°C.
3. On a flour work surface, roll the pastry into a sheet of 3/4 inch thickness.
4. Using 4 inch round cutters, cut the pastry into as many as possible,
5. Re-roll the remaining pastry and cut more rounds.
6. Place the pastry rounds on the lined baking sheet.
7. Using a 3 inch round cutter, or the tip of a butter knife, keep half an inch from the edge and cut another round inside the bigger pastry rounds. Cut only half-way through the pastry. This inner piece will form the lid of the vol-au-vent.
8. Brush the pastries with beaten egg and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
9. Place the baking sheet on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake the puff pastries for 10 minutes until they have risen and are golden brown.
10. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F, 200°C and bake for another 20 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and cool.
1. Tick up the lid and press down the pastry, making room for the filling.
2. You could use various fillings to fill the vol au vents and serve them as an appetizer or a snack at a party.