- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Banh Mi Vietnamese Sandwich and Pickled Daikon and Carrots Recipe Video
|For grilled pork|
|Pork shoulder||1 Pound, sliced|
|Black soy sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Fish sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Shallot||1⁄2 , minced|
|Cooking oil||2 Tablespoon|
|For pickled carrot and diakon|
|Carrot||1 Large, peeled, cut into matchstick|
|Japanese radish||1 Large, peeled, cut into matchstick (daikon)|
|Warm water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White distilled vinegar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||65 Gram (1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon)|
|Salt||45 Gram (1/8 cup + 1 tablespoon)|
|Baguete||1 Medium (vietnamese french baguete)|
|Cilantro leaves||5 Medium|
|Jalapeno||1 Medium, sliced|
|Onion||1⁄4 Medium, sliced|
|Maggie seasoning||10 Drop (maggie sauce)|
Calories 608 Calories from Fat 252
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 28 g43.2%
Saturated Fat 6.8 g34%
Trans Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 75.7 mg25.2%
Sodium 5445.3 mg226.9%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.7%
Dietary Fiber 3 g11.9%
Sugars 23 g
Protein 26 g52%
Vitamin A 65% Vitamin C 54.6%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 12%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. PICKLE: In a bowl, take carrot and diakon pieces and add 1 tablespoon salt and 1 tablespoon sugar. Mix well and set aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, rinse it in cold water and transfer to a large bowl.
2. In another bowl, take warm water. Add ¼ cup sugar and 1/8 cup salt. Mix well till they dissolve. To this pour white vinegar and mix well.
3. Pour this mixture into the bowl with carrot and diakon, cover and let it sit for 1 hour to overnight before use.
4. TO MARINATE PORK: In a bowl, add minced garlic, shallots, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar. Whisk them well to combine.
5. Put the pork slices into this bowl and mix well with hands to coat all the slices well with the marinade. Season with salt and pepper and mix again. Cover and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
6. In a grilling pan or frying pan, heat oil and put the marinated pork and stir fry till the pork is browned on both sides. Set aside.
7. SANDWICH: Slice a baguette in half lengthwise. Spread the mayonnaise. Put the grilled pork. Top it with the jalapeno, onion, pickle, cilantro leaves and few drops of maggie sauce.
8. In a serving plate, cut the sandwich into half and serve it hot.