- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Venison Loin with Potato Rosti Watercress Puree & Roasted Beetroot Recipe
|Venison trimmings/Stewing venison, chopped||300 Gram|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Shallot||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Red wine||200 Milliliter|
|Venison/Veal / game stock||750 Milliliter|
|Baby beetroot||6 , peeled|
|Balsamic vinegar||50 Milliliter|
|Soft brown sugar||25 Gram|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Baby onions||6 , cut in half|
|Venison loin||400 Gram|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Unsalted butter||15 Gram|
|Baking potato||1 Large|
|Chicken stock||100 Milliliter|
|Watercress leaves||100 Gram|
Calories 1946 Calories from Fat 1182
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 134 g205.6%
Saturated Fat 22.5 g112.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 156 mg
Sodium 731.6 mg30.5%
Total Carbohydrates 92 g30.8%
Dietary Fiber 20.9 g83.7%
Sugars 55.4 g
Protein 94 g187.8%
Vitamin A 42.8% Vitamin C 97.4%
Calcium 19.3% Iron 80.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. For the beetroot, place all the ingredients except the butter into a shallow pan with enough water to just cover the beetroot. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then simmer for 30 mins or until the baby beets are tender. Lift out, then reduce the cooking liquor to a rich glaze.
3. For the roasted onions, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Thickly grease a small ovenproof frying pan with butter. Sprinkle with salt and sugar, put the onions cut-side down in the cold pan, then place over a medium-high heat and cook for 10 mins or until golden. Place in the oven to complete cooking for about 10 mins. At the same time, seal the venison loin in oil for around 10 mins in an ovenproof frying pan. Add the butter, baste, then place in oven for about 8-10 mins, longer if you prefer your meat well done. Rest in a warm place before carving.
4. For the potato rosti, par-boil the potato in its skin for 10 mins. Peel off the skin and grate the flesh. Heat the butter in a frying pan. Press the potato lightly into 2 thin cakes, then fry for 5 mins each side until golden.
5. For the watercress, boil the stock in a pan until reduced by half. Blanch the watercress in boiling water for a couple of secs. Drain, then blend in a food processor, adding enough stock to form a coarse puree that will hold its shape.
6. Lift off the fat from the chilled jus and discard. Pour the liquid into a pan and bring to the boil. Reduce rapidly to form a glossy sauce. At the same time, reheat the reduced beetroot liquor. Whisk in the butter, then return the beets to the pan, spooning over the shiny sauce.
7. Carve the venison. Place a potato rosti on each warmed serving plate. Arrange slices of meat to the side. Sit the beets and onions together with a little heap of watercress. Spoon over the hot jus and serve immediately.