- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Velvety Mango Mousse Recipe
|Mangoes/3 medium ones||2 Large (Alphonso or preferably Venezuelan)|
|Lime juice/Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (optional)|
|Sugar||7 Tablespoon (depends whether the mango is sharp)|
|Egg white||1 Large|
|Double cream||7 Fluid Ounce (200 ml, plus 150 ml/1/4pt to serve)|
|Pistachios||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped (handful, to garnish)|
Calories 314 Calories from Fat 150
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26%
Saturated Fat 0.52 g2.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 9.1 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 41 g13.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14%
Sugars 35.9 g
Protein 3 g6.3%
Vitamin A 23.8% Vitamin C 70.2%
Calcium 2.4% Iron 2.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Slice the mangoes and remove and puree all the flesh, until smooth. 2) Stir in the lime or lemon juice, if the mangoes are less acidic.
3) In a small pan, heat the sugar with 4 tablespoons water until dissolved, then boil to soft ball stage for 4 to 5 minutes, until the candy thermometer reads 116-118°C.
4) In a bowl, stiffly beat the egg white, then whisk in the hot sugar with an electric whisk until thick and glossy.
5) In a bowl, soak the gelatine (if using) in cold water for 5 minutes.
6) Then squeeze out any excess water from the gelatine, then place in a small pan with 2 tablespoons water and heat until dissolved.
7) Then stir into the mango puree and mix thoroughly.
8) In a bowl, whip 200ml cream until soft peaks are formed.
9) Stir 4 tablespoons cream into the mango, then spoon in the rest, along with the egg whites and gently fold them both into the mango.
10) Spoon the mango mixture into 8 individual glasses and refrigerate for a few hours until set.
11) Top each serving with the freshly whipped remaining cream.
12) Garnish the Velvety Mango Mousse with a few chopped pistachios and serve chilled.