- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Veggie Bean Medley Recipe Video
|Pinto beans||15 Ounce (1 can)|
|Corn||15 Ounce (1 can)|
|Diced tomatoes||15 Ounce (1 can)|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large|
|Red onion||1 Small|
|Celery stalk||1 Large|
|Red bell pepper||1 Small|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder/Paprika||1 Teaspoon|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
Calories 888 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.1%
Saturated Fat 2.1 g10.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 573.1 mg23.9%
Total Carbohydrates 158 g52.7%
Dietary Fiber 28.9 g115.8%
Sugars 9 g
Protein 36 g71.9%
Vitamin A 68.6% Vitamin C 125.9%
Calcium 20.6% Iron 60.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. You will want to begin by rinsing and draining the pinto beans and the corn. While you will not use the beans for a few minutes, the prep will save you time in the long run.
2. Cut up all of your veggies and get them ready to cook. Zucchini, onions, celery, garlic, red pepper, and cilantro.
3. Start by heating the olive oil in a frying pan and adding the herbs. By toasting the herbs, you bring out more of the flavor.
4. After they have toasted for a minute or so, add in your vegetables, minus the tomatoes and corn. You want to start with the onions, celery, and garlic. The celery especially takes longer to cook, because it is harder, so be sure that you let them cook for a couple of minutes before you add the bell pepper and zucchini. In total, all of this should cook for five minutes.
5. Now you are ready to add the beans, corn, and diced tomatoes.
6. Let all of these ingredients cook together to co-mingle the tastes.
7. Add salt to taste.
8. Stir it all together, cover, and reduce the heat. Allow it to finish cooking for ten minutes. Then you are ready to serve.
9. Some serving ideas include brown rice, guacamole, and salsa.
The brown rice can be cooked before you begin cooking the Veggie Bean Medley, or if you use the instant type, you can cook it in just minutes while you are allowing the pan to simmer. Brown rice helps to make this a balanced meal that has all of the nutrients that you need. Guacamole and salsa can top it off for that perfect dish.
10. You can serve it with a side salad, chips, tortillas, or other Mexican sides to make the most of your meal and make it perfect for your family.