- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetarian Tacos Recipe
|Green pepper||1⁄2 Small, seeded|
|Canned green chilies||2 , rinsed and seeded (Whole)|
|Garlic cloves||1 Large, pressed|
|Pinto beans||3 Cup (48 tbs), cooked, drained (1 1/4 Cups Dry)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Chili powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Iceberg lettuce head||1⁄2 Small|
|Cheddar cheese||6 Ounce, well chilled|
|Taco sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
Calories 333 Calories from Fat 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.4%
Saturated Fat 4.2 g21%
Trans Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 14.9 mg
Sodium 326 mg13.6%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.3%
Sugars 3.8 g
Protein 15 g29.8%
Vitamin A 14.4% Vitamin C 28.4%
Calcium 18.4% Iron 18.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350Â° F.
2) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the onion until coarsely chopped.
3) Add green pepper and process until coarsely chopped.
4) Dry and add the chiles and process until coarsely chopped.
5) In a large saucepan, saute the onion mixture in the oil over a medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes until the onions are soft.
6) Stir in the garlic, beans, tomato sauce, chili powder, salt and cumin, then simmer covered for 5-10 minutes, until very thick.
7) In a processor bowl with a slicing disc, process the lettuce until sliced.
8) Place the taco shells in the preheated oven and heat for about 5 minutes.
9) In a processor bowl with shredding disc, process the Cheddar cheese until shredded, keep aside.
10) In a processor bowl with a metal blade, process the tomatoes, until coarsely chopped, keep aside.
11) Spoon 1/4 cup bean mixture into the taco shell, then top with the tomato, lettuce, cheese and taco sauce to taste and serve immediately.