- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Spicy Vegetarian Stew Recipe Video
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), sliced|
|Garlic cloves||2 Small, minced|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs) (cut into 1 inch thick slices)|
|Celery||1 Cup (16 tbs) (cut into 1 inch thick slices)|
|Potatoes||3 Medium (cut into 1 inch chunks)|
|Canned tomatoes||1 Pound, undrained, coarsely chopped|
|Kidney beans||2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 can)|
|Bay leaf||1 Small|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Kosher red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
Calories 609 Calories from Fat 50
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.8%
Saturated Fat 0.83 g4.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 385.7 mg16.1%
Total Carbohydrates 114 g38%
Dietary Fiber 23.1 g92.4%
Sugars 10.6 g
Protein 29 g57%
Vitamin A 132.8% Vitamin C 93.5%
Calcium 20.5% Iron 64.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large heavy sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery.
2. Cook for 10 minutes stirring frequently.
3. Add small amounts of water, if necessary to prevent sticking.
4. Add the remaining ingredients, except flour, 1/4 cup water and wine.
5. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Keep Stirring occasionally.
6. In a small bowl, gradually stir flour into 1/4 water until smooth.
7. Add this to the stew and finally add wine. Cook for 5 more minutes.
10.Take out the bay leaf and serve hot.