- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetarian Scotch Eggs Recipe
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Oil||1 1⁄2 Pint|
|Flour||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Hot water||3⁄4 Pint|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon (Leveled)|
|Mixed herbs||2 Teaspoon, dried|
|Yeast extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Cashew nuts||4 Ounce, milled|
|Nuts||4 Ounce, milled (E.G. Walnuts And Peanuts)|
|Mashed potato||4 Ounce|
|Egg milk||1 Teaspoon (Leveled), beaten|
|Hard boiled eggs||4|
|Tomatoes||4 , grilled|
|Mushrooms||1 Tablespoon, fried|
|Tomato sauce/Onion gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Calories 2231 Calories from Fat 1894
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 214 g329.3%
Saturated Fat 30 g149.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 242.1 mg
Sodium 406.6 mg16.9%
Total Carbohydrates 63 g21%
Dietary Fiber 9.3 g37.3%
Sugars 13.1 g
Protein 25 g50.7%
Vitamin A 34.7% Vitamin C 65%
Calcium 15% Iron 18.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) In a skillet, saute the onion in 2 tablespoons oil. Then stir in the flour and water and blend well until thick.
2) Stir in the tomato puree, herbs and yeast extract., mix well, turn off the heat.
3) Mix in the nuts, bread, potato and egg or milk and make a firm dough.
4) Wrap the dough round each egg, about 1/2 inch thick and form a cylindrical shape.
5) Apply beaten egg and coat evenly with the breadcrumbs press well.
6) In a deep fry pan, heat the oil to 380°F, fry each egg in the heated oil, until evenly light brown.
7) Remove with a perforated spoon and drain over kitchen paper, then halve with a sharp knife.
8) Garnish with the mushrooms or tomatoes, greens and tomato or onion sauce and serve hot. Alternately, garnish with cress, salad, rolls or jacket potatoes and butter and serve cold.