- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Hoppin' John - Southern Style Rice & Beans Recipe Video
|Brown rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (brown rice medley used)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Olive oil||2 Dash|
|Black beans||1 Can (10 oz), drained (Microwaved for a couple of minutes)|
|Salt||To Taste (Sprinkled on the black beans)|
|Breakfast sausage||4 Medium, crumbled (Microwaved for a couple of minutes)|
|Cheese slices||2 Medium (Soy cheddar cheese slices used)|
|Greek yogurt||2 Tablespoon|
|Green onions||4 Medium, sliced (To garnish)|
|Hot sauce||2 Drop (Optional)|
Calories 1353 Calories from Fat 458
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78.6%
Saturated Fat 20.4 g102%
Trans Fat 0.3 g
Cholesterol 106.8 mg
Sodium 1759.1 mg73.3%
Total Carbohydrates 165 g55.1%
Dietary Fiber 26.2 g104.8%
Sugars 7.3 g
Protein 61 g121.3%
Vitamin A 36.7% Vitamin C 20.3%
Calcium 43.4% Iron 58.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will Need1. Microwave safe bowls
1. In a pot with boiling water, add the brown rice medley and pepper blend (1/2 tsp black pepper + 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper). Stir well.
2. Add or spray a little olive oil to the cooking pot, cover and let cook.
3. In a bowl, put the black beans, sprinkled with some salt. Microwave this for 2 minutes.
4. Microwave the crumbled sausages for 2 minutes, set aside.
5. Once the rice is cooked, take a serving bowl, place the cooked rice at the bottom, followed by the black beans and breakfast sausages.
6. Place a soy cheddar cheese slice on top.
7. Place the bowl in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
8. Top it off with a spoon of 2% Greek yogurt.
9. Add a couple of drops of hot sauce (if using) and sprinkle with some green onions.
10. Serve warm and enjoy!