- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetarian Chili Recipe
|Dry kidney beans||3 Cup (48 tbs), rinsed|
|Vegetable bouillon cubes||2|
|Vegit seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Green pepper||1 Large, halved and seeded|
|Canned tomatoes||56 Ounce (Two 28 Ounce Cans)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry red wine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry oregano||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dry basil leaves/8 fresh basil leaves, minced||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Allspice||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Tabasco sauce||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Beer||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cashew nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs), lightly roasted|
|Monterey jack cheese||5 Ounce, well chilled (1/2 Ounce Per Serving)|
Calories 932 Calories from Fat 294
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 35 g53.9%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 25 mg8.3%
Sodium 1309.2 mg54.5%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.3%
Dietary Fiber 25.4 g101.6%
Sugars 18.1 g
Protein 41 g82%
Vitamin A 66.3% Vitamin C 105.9%
Calcium 47.6% Iron 78.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Add the kidney beans in 9 cups water and allow to soak overnight at room temperature.
2) In a large pot or pressure cooker, add the kidney beans, soaking water, bouillon cubes, bay leaf and Vegit together.
3) Simmer over the range for about 2 hours until beans are just tender, or pressure cook at 15 lbs pressure for 15 minutes.
4) In a food processor with a metal blade, process the garlic cloves until finely minced.
5) Add onions and process until chopped medium-fine.
6) In a skillet, saute the garlic and onions in the heated oil over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes.
7) In a food processor with a slicing disc, process the celery until sliced. Then stir into the onion and saute for 1 minute.
8) In a food processor with a slicing disc, process the green pepper until sliced. Then stir into skillet, saute for 1 minute and stir into the beans.
9) Drain liquid from tomatoes into the pot, then quarter the tomatoes and stir into the beans.
10) In a food processor with a metal blade, process the parsley until coarsely chopped.
11) Stir into the beans alongwith the raisins, vinegar, wine, chili powder, salt, oregano, basil, cumin, allspice, pepper and Tabasco sauce.
12) Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 1 hour.
13) Stir in beer and cook for another 15-25 minutes until thickened.
14) In a food processor with a shredding disc, process the Monterey Jack cheese until shredded.
15) Stir in the cashews when ready to serve.
16) Ladle the vegetarian chili into bowls, top with the shredded cheese and serve immediately.