- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetable Tofu Casserole Recipe
|Eggplant||1 Small, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices|
|Pins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Zucchini||3 Small, cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices|
|Potatoes||3 Medium, pared and cut into 1/2 inch-thick slices|
|Onion||1 Large, finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Canned tomatoes||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Homemade vegetable broth/Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄3 Teaspoon|
|Tomato paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Green pepper||1 , seeded and cut into strips|
|Diced tofu/1 cup ricotta cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), grated|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2052 Calories from Fat 788
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 89 g137.2%
Saturated Fat 41.2 g206%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 370.4 mg
Sodium 2524 mg105.2%
Total Carbohydrates 268 g89.4%
Dietary Fiber 53.2 g213%
Sugars 68.7 g
Protein 81 g161.1%
Vitamin A 193.3% Vitamin C 700.6%
Calcium 141.4% Iron 119.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large heavy skillet and saute the eggplant until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels and transfer to an oiled 3-quart baking dish.
3. In the oil remaining in the skillet, saute the zucchini until lightly browned and transfer to a bowl. Add the potatoes to the skillet and saute until lightly browned and transfer to a second bowl.
4. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet and saute the onion and garlic until tender but not browned. Add the tomatoes, broth, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 tea-spoon pepper, tomato paste, pars-ley, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour half the tomato sauce over the eggplant.
5. Add the green pepper to the zucchini and arrange over the tomato sauce. Sprinkle the tofu (or spread the ricotta) over the sauce. Add the potatoes in a layer.
6. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and blend in the flour. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring, and cook for 3 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, nutmeg, egg, and half the cheese.
7. Pour the white sauce over potato slices and sprinkle with the re-maining cheese. Bake in a 350-de-gree oven for 1 hour. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.