- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetable Salad, Orzo Salad and Chicken with Tuscan Salsa Recipe Video
|For the roasted vegetable salad marinade|
|Rice wine vinegar||4 Ounce|
|Vegetable oil||8 Ounce|
|Garlic||1 Ounce, chop|
|Dried thyme leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|For the roasted vegetable salad|
|Yellow squash||6 Ounce|
|Broccoli florets||12 Large|
|Cauliflower florets||12 Large|
|Onion||1 Large, dice (24 peices)|
|Red bell pepper||1 Medium, dice (12 peices)|
|For the herbed orzo salad|
|Extra virgin olive oil||3 Tablespoon, divided|
|Frozen green peas||8 Ounce|
|Celery||4 Ounce, dice|
|Fresh oregano leaves||1⁄2 Ounce, chop|
|Fresh chives||1⁄2 Ounce, chop|
|Fresh parsley||1⁄2 Ounce, chop|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), mince|
|Red wine vinegar||2 Tablespoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||4 Tablespoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|For skewered chicken with tuscan salsa|
|Sun dried tomatoes||12 Ounce|
|Capers||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red peppers||2 Can (20 oz)|
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), roast|
|Garlic||1⁄2 Tablespoon, roast|
|Olive oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Kalamata olives||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Chicken breast boneless skinless||1 Pound, chop|
Calories 715 Calories from Fat 400
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g69.4%
Saturated Fat 4.6 g22.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.9 mg
Sodium 1539.7 mg64.2%
Total Carbohydrates 61 g20.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g37%
Sugars 18 g
Protein 22 g44.9%
Vitamin A 56.3% Vitamin C 201.6%
Calcium 15.7% Iron 32.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
Things You Will NeedPan
1. In a bowl combine the sun-dried tomatoes, capers, roasted red peppers, pine nuts, roasted garlic, olive oil and olives.
2. Cut the chicken into 1-inch square cubes and coat cubes with the previously mixed salsa ingredients.
3. Thread the chicken onto skewers and grill or pan-sear it in a pan, until done.
4. Warm the salsa in the same pan, set aside.
5. Once the chicken is done place it on a serving plate and top it with the salsa.
6. Serve skewered chicken along with the tuscan salsa hot.
FOR THE ROASTED VEGETABLE SALAD
1. Cut the zucchini and yellow squash into ½-inch-thick semicircles.
2. Dice the onions and red bell pepper and mince the garlic.
3. In a bowl combine all ingredients for the marinade and set aside.
4. Blanch and the zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, onion and red bell pepper. Drain vegetables well.
5. Combine them with half the marinade and add mushroom caps.
6. Marinate the vegetables for 30-45 minutes, then remove and drain well.
7. On a hot grill or in a hot oven, place vegetables turning as needed such that vegetables brown and char lightly during cooking.
8. Once done remove and set aside in a bowl.
9. Serve the roasted salad with mustard vinaigrette dressing
FOR THE HERBED ORZO SALAD
1. Chop fresh oregano, chives, parsley; mince the garlic, dice the celery, set aside.
2. Cook the orzo in lightly salted boiling water, drain in a colander and rinse well with cold water.
3. In a large bowl place the drained orzo, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and toss well.
4. Cook the peas in slightly salted boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes, then drain and rinse with cold water.
5. Toss peas, celery, tomatoes and orzo together.
6. In another bowl combine remaining olive oil with the herbs, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice salt and pepper.
7. Pour over the salad and toss gently to combine.
8. Chill the vegetables and season with the remaining marinade and serve the Roasted Vegetable Salad.
9. Serve the orzo salad cold along with you meal.