- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetable Roulade Recipe
|For the roulade|
|Butter||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
|Flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Parmesan cheese||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|For the filling|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Spanish onions||3 , sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Canned tomatoes||14 Ounce (1 Can, 397 Gram)|
|Dried thyme||1 Teaspoon|
|Stuffed green olives||1 Ounce, sliced (25 Gram)|
Calories 574 Calories from Fat 397
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 45 g68.9%
Saturated Fat 18.2 g90.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 325.2 mg
Sodium 569.9 mg23.7%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 4.3 g17.4%
Sugars 7.9 g
Protein 19 g37.6%
Vitamin A 33.8% Vitamin C 30.3%
Calcium 34.4% Iron 26.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
3. Stir in the milk gradually and cook until thickened.
4. Add the Cheddar cheese. Remove pan from the heat, cool slightly.
5. Beat in the egg yolks, one or two at a time. Add the seasoning.
6. Whisk the egg whites until very stiff, then carefully fold into the cheese mixture.
7. Pour into the lined tin and spread evenly. Bake in a moderately hot oven (200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6) for 15 minutes on the upper shelf.
8. Sprinkle another sheet of paper with the Parmesan ready for the cooked roulade.
9. Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the oil in a frying pan, add the onions and garlic and fry until soft but not coloured.
10. Add the tomatoes, thyme, sugar, seasoning and olives.
11. Cook briskly without a lid, stirring from time to time, until the mixture is thick and pulpy.
12. Turn the cooked roulade onto the paper, remove the greaseproof paper and trim the edges.
13. Spread with 3/4 of the filling and lift the paper to roll the roulade.
14. Put on the serving dish and pour the remaining filling over the top. Serve immediately.