- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetable Moussaka Recipe
|New potatoes||1 Pound (450 gram)|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Cabbage||8 Ounce (225 gram)|
|Chopped thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, washed (100 gram)|
|Tomatoes||8 Ounce, sliced (225 gram)|
|Butter/Margarine||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 gram)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 gram)|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Pint (300 milliliter)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
Calories 508 Calories from Fat 283
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 32 g49.2%
Saturated Fat 12.1 g60.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 47.1 mg
Sodium 597.4 mg24.9%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g14.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.1 g24.5%
Sugars 17.7 g
Protein 14 g27.6%
Vitamin A 20.5% Vitamin C 73.5%
Calcium 35.7% Iron 8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Cook the onions and oil in a large saucepan until soft but not browned.
3. Wash and shred the cabbage, add to the onion with the salt, pepper and thyme.
4. Add the water, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until the cabbage is cooked but still slightly crisp. Remove pan from the heat.
5. Slice the potatoes and add half to the pan, turn half of this mixture into a casserole.
6. Slice the mushrooms and arrange in the casserole.
7. Arrange the sliced tomatoes over the top.
8. Cover with the remaining sliced potatoes.
9. To make the sauce, melt the butter or margarine in a saucepan, add the flour, cook for 1 minute and gradually add the milk. Cook for 2 minutes. Season and pour over the potatoes.
10. Sprinkle over the cheese.
11. Cook in a moderate oven (180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4) for about 20 minutes.
12. Serve with a green salad.