- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetable Chili Recipe
|Olive oil/Vegetable oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped to make 1 cup|
|Chili powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic powder/1 garlic clove, minced||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Frozen lima beans/Whole kernel corn||10 Ounce (1 package)|
|Carrots||6 Small, diced to make 1 1/2 cups|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Canned black beans/1 can, 15 ounce pinto beans||16 Ounce, undrained (1 can)|
|Tomato juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Condensed golden mushroom soup||10 3⁄4 Ounce (1 can)|
|Hot cooked white rice/Combination of white and wild rice||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
Calories 690 Calories from Fat 73
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g13%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 992 mg41.3%
Total Carbohydrates 133 g44.2%
Dietary Fiber 14.8 g59.3%
Sugars 13.2 g
Protein 21 g42%
Vitamin A 291.4% Vitamin C 76.2%
Calcium 23.6% Iron 46.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. In a large (4-quart) casserole or Dutch oven, heat hot oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion and spices and saute until onion is soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add lima beans, carrots and water to the pan and stir to mix well.
4. Bring the water to a boil then reduce the heat and cover the casserole.
5. Simmer vegetables and beans, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes or until they are tender.
6. Add the remaining ingredients except the cooked rice, sour cream and green onions and stir.
7. Bring to a boil again.
8. Let simmer, covered, on low heat for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
9. Divide the hot cooked rice among 4 bowls.
10. Ladle the vegetable chili over the rice.
11. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and with green onions, before serving.