- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegetable Casserole Recipe
|Mixed vegetables||2 Pound, prepared and diced (carrots, parsnips, potatoes, onions, celery, swede)|
|Lean bacon rashers||3 , rinds removed and cut into strips|
|Prepared mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Cheddar cheese||3 Ounce, grated|
Calories 452 Calories from Fat 189
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.8%
Saturated Fat 12.9 g64.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 69.8 mg
Sodium 480.3 mg20%
Total Carbohydrates 45 g15%
Dietary Fiber 5.6 g22.5%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 17 g34.7%
Vitamin A 75.8% Vitamin C 12.8%
Calcium 28% Iron 5.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a pot, cook the vegetables in boiling salted water for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender.
3) Pour off the cooking liquid, reserving 1 1/4 cup.
4) In a non-stick pan, sautÃ© the bacon until crispy, remove and set aside.
5) In another pan, melt the butter and add in flour and mustard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6) Take the pan away from heat and slowly pour in the milk and the reserved cooking liquid.
7) Bring back the pan to heat and allow to boil, stirring constantly.
8) Cook over low heat until thick, season to taste.
9) Spoon half of the sauce in an ovenproof dish.
10) Place the vegetables and bacon and pour the remaining sauce.
11) Dredge the sauce with the cheese and bake oven for 45 minutes.
12) If you wish to freeze the dish, then do so at this stage. Allow the mixture to cool completely,
13) Wrap the dish with foil, label and freeze.
14) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley, if desired.
15) If using the frozen vegetable mixture, thaw at room temperature for 4 hours.
16) Reheat in a preheated moderate oven for 40 minutes or until heated through.
17) Serve as mentioned in step 13.