- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vegan Tamales Recipe Video
|Masa harina||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Warm water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Chicken style seasoning||1 Tablespoon|
|Soy margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Textured vegetable protein||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Mild red chili sauce||16 Ounce|
Calories 1280 Calories from Fat 878
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 102 g157.4%
Saturated Fat 16.8 g83.9%
Trans Fat 3.5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4220.1 mg175.8%
Total Carbohydrates 84 g28.1%
Dietary Fiber 22.4 g89.5%
Sugars 1.7 g
Protein 13 g25.4%
Vitamin A 42.9% Vitamin C 0.54%
Calcium 59.8% Iron 26.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. Next you should prepare the hot sauce as a filling to the tamales. For this you can use the readymade red chili sauce or you can make your own by boiling mild Californian chilis with some onions, garlics and salt and finally straining the sauce.
3. Add the vegetarian chicken substitute to the chili sauce and leave it to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
4. Soak the corn husks in hot water, wash and clean them properly.
5. Select a bigger sized corn husk to spread evenly with the masa dough. You can do this with the back of a spoon or spatula. Fill half of the length and 2/3rd of the width of the corn husk with the dough. On top of that put one tablespoon of red chili sauce filling. Make a roll of the corn husk and fold the top part over the roll to make the tamale. This way construct all the tamales.
6. Now put these tamales into a steamer by covering with few more corn husks. Allow the tamales to be steamed for 1 hr 15 mins to 1 hr 30 mins.
7. When the tamales are done, put the steamer off and let the tamales sit for another half an hours or so before serving.