- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Taormina Veal Parmigiana Recipe
|Dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground veal||1 Pound, salad oil - 3/4 cup|
|Canned tomato sauce||24 Ounce|
|Sugar||2 Teaspoon, salad oil - 3/4 cup|
|Oregano||1 Teaspoon, salad oil - 3/4 cup|
|Basil||1⁄2 Teaspoon, salad oil - 3/4 cup|
|Salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon, salad oil - 3/4 cup|
|Sliced mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce|
|Parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), salad oil - 3/4 cup|
Calories 549 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g42.1%
Saturated Fat 13.7 g68.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 252 mg
Sodium 1911.4 mg79.6%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.2%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.2%
Sugars 14.1 g
Protein 47 g94.7%
Vitamin A 28.8% Vitamin C 25.3%
Calcium 54.1% Iron 27.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Peel the eggplants and cut them into quarter-inch slices.
2. Salt them and place them between to plates to press out the bitter juices then rinse them and pat them dry.
3. Cut mozzarella cheese into triangles.
4. Dip eggplant into eggs and coat with crumbs.
5. Heat in a skillet the oil, to the smoking point.
6. Fry the slices, a few at a time, removing them from the oil while they are still lightly colored. Place them on a sheet of absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
7. Drain oil from skillet.
8. Add salt and pepper to the ground veal and shape into large patties
9. Brown in the hot skillet for 5 minutes on each side then break them into large chunks.
10. Stir in tomato sauce, sugar, oregano, basil and salt.
11. Simmer for 10 minutes.
12. In an ovenproof casserole, spread a couple of tablespoons of tomato sauce over it.
13. Layer 1/3 of the eggplant slices, overlapping the slices slightly, veal mixture and top with mozzarella.
14. Repeat this process with another layer.
15. Lay down a third layer, covering it with the grated parmesan cheese
16. Bake in a slow oven for about an hour.
17. Turn the heat up in the last few minutes to lightly brown the top.
18. The dish should not be eaten hot. It will be better the next day or even the day after that.