- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vatha Kolambu Recipe Video
|Garlic||8 Clove (40 gm)|
|Pigeon pea||1 Tablespoon|
|Brussel sprouts||8 Small (cut into half)|
|Tamarind paste||1 Tablespoon (tamarind concentrate)|
|Onion||1 Large, divided (1/2 chopped, 1/2 ground)|
|Tomato||4 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Coconut||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek seed||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Black lentil||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Green chilies||6 Gram|
|Curry leaves||6 Gram|
|Cooking oil||4 Teaspoon|
|Regular salt||2 Teaspoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sambar powder||2 Teaspoon|
Calories 112 Calories from Fat 44
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5 g7.7%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 701.3 mg29.2%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.3 g13.1%
Sugars 3.7 g
Protein 4 g7.5%
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 52.2%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 7.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1. Soak the tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes and take out the pulp (you should be able to get 2 cups of tamarind water from this).
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add toor dal in 1 cup of water and microwave it for 3 minutes.
3. In a pan, heat oil, fry mustard seeds, urad dal, garlic, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves, toor dal, sambar powder and ground onion for 3 minutes.
4. Add chopped onion, hing, salt, tomato and stir for few minutes.
5. Add chopped brussel sprouts, 1 cup tamarind concentrate and mix for 3 minutes.
6. Add the remaning tamarind, 1 cup water, grated coconut and mix gently.
7 Stir in the gram flour, 1 cup water and cook covered for 7 minutes.
8. Serve the curry with white rice, or chapati garnished with chopped cilantro.