- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Vanilla Puffs Recipe
|Eggs||2 Small, slightly beaten|
|Caster sugar||2 Ounce|
|Vanilla essence||2 Drop|
|Double cream||1⁄4 Pint|
|Icing sugar||2 Ounce|
Calories 265 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 64.2 mg
Sodium 47.1 mg2%
Total Carbohydrates 31 g10.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.23 g0.91%
Sugars 20.9 g
Protein 4 g8.2%
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C
Calcium 5.4% Iron 2.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C/Gas 6 before baking.
2) Grease and wet a baking sheet and then spoon or pipe six balls of choux pastry onto it.
3) Bake the pastry for 20-25 minutes in preheated oven and then take off from oven when done.
4) In each bun, make a small slit and place back in oven to bake for a further 5 minutes.
5) Allow the buns to cool on a wire rack.
6) For the filling, whip together eggs and sugar until pale and creamy.
7) Sift in flour and cornflour and then beat in a little milk, until the mixture becomes smooth.
8) Into a saucepan, pour the remaining milk and heat until it comes to a boil.
9) Stir this with the egg mixture.
10) Place the egg-milk mixture back to saucepan and cook gently until thick, stirring well.
11) Mix in vanilla essence and cook for 2 minutes more.
12) Take off the mixture from heat and transfer to a bowl.
13) Using a greaseproof paper, cover the bowl tightly and keep aside until cold.
14) Beat cream until it reaches a soft peak stage and then mix with the cold custard.
15) Half each puff and then fill with the custard.
16) Top with the other half and sprinkle with a little icing sugar.
17) Into a bowl, sift the remaining icing sugar and mix in 1-2 tsp water until mixture coats the back of a spoon.
18) Top each bun with this icing and keep in refrigerator to chill.
19) Serve the puffs chilled.