- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Unsalted Chicken Stock Recipe
|Chicken wings||3 Pound|
|Chicken parts||3 Pound (wings, backs, etc.)|
|Carrots||2 , scraped|
|Carrots||2 , scraped and sliced|
|Onions||3 , cut into quarters|
|Onions||3 , cut|
|Crushed dried basil||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Water||1 (As Required)|
|Distilled water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3852 Calories from Fat 831
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 92 g141.9%
Saturated Fat 24.1 g120.4%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 1728.1 mg576%
Sodium 2362.5 mg98.4%
Total Carbohydrates 121 g40.2%
Dietary Fiber 26.2 g104.8%
Sugars 47 g
Protein 605 g1210.5%
Vitamin A 871% Vitamin C 239.9%
Calcium 90.4% Iron 179.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) In a large pot or soup kettle, put the chicken parts, whole chicken (if using) and all remaining ingredients and add distilled water to cover by 1 inch.
3) Slowly bring it to boil.
4) Partially cover about 1 inch to allow steam to escape.
5) Simmer and cook on very slow flame for about 3 hours, or until whole chicken is tender.
6) Remove chicken and continue to simmer stock for another 3 to 4 hours.
7) (If you are not cooking the whole chicken, simply simmer for 6 to 7 hours.) Cool stock to room temperature.
8) Brown the bones for 30 minutes in a roasting pan.
9) Add the onions, carrots and garlic and brown together for another 30 minutes, or until a rich, deep brown in color.
10) Add the browned meat and vegetables in a large pot or soup kettle with all the remaining ingredients, adding the distilled water to cover by 1 inch.
11) Slowly bring it to boil, then lower heat and simmer slowly for 5 minutes; remove any froth that forms on the surface.
12) Strain the stock using cheesecloth.
13) Use as required to make soups, stews, sauces or gravies.
Cooking the stewing chicken is helpful as it adds flavor to the stock and it gives a beautifully seasoned chicken for dinner or chicken meat for preparing many other dishes, such as soups, sandwiches, etc.