- Recipes Home
- Interest Groups
Tyrolean Honey Cookies Recipe
|Candied orange peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Candied lemon peel||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Blanched almonds||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Honey||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Lemon peel||1 Tablespoon, grated|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Kirsch/Brandy||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1 Dash|
|Ground nutmeg||1 Dash|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5822 Calories from Fat 966
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 115 g177.5%
Saturated Fat 9.4 g46.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1574.4 mg65.6%
Total Carbohydrates 1123 g374.2%
Dietary Fiber 46.6 g186.4%
Sugars 682.1 g
Protein 101 g203%
Vitamin A 3.4% Vitamin C 193.6%
Calcium 71.3% Iron 184.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet
2. In medium saucepan, bring honey and granulated sugar just to boiling, stirring (do not boil). Add fresh lemon peel and lemon juice. Set aside to cool—10 minutes. Then add ground candied peel and almonds and the kirsch.
3. Into a large bowl, sift flour with salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Make well in center of flour mixture; pour in fruit-and-honey mixture. Work together, with a kneading motion, until well combined. Dough will be quite stiff.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Divide dough into four parts. Refrigerate three parts until ready to use. Between two sheets of waxed paper, on slightly dampened surface, roll out one part to form a rectangle 6 by 8 inches, 1/4 inch thick. Cut into squares or crescents or stars or hearts. Place, about 1 inch apart, on ungreased cookie sheets.
6. Bake about 10 minutes, or just until golden.
7. Repeat with rest of dough.
8. In small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar with water; stir to mix well. Brush over cookies while they are still warm. Make glaze thinner, if desired, by adding 1 or 2 more tablespoons water.
9. Store in a tightly covered jar or plastic container, in a cool, dry place, several weeks. To serve, decorate, with Decorating Icing, tinted in pastel colors.